Thursday, February 10, 2011

The world of Charlie

My Secret Friend


“Hi Charlie,” a voice sounded from behind me. I was lying on my back, “How come you can speak just like me?” I asked her.  “I can speak to anybody that I want to,” Betty said. Charlie sat cross-legged looking interested at Betty. Betty was a spider, a large one, the largest I have ever seen.  Betty was the size of my fist or perhaps even bigger. “Interesting,” I returned, “do you know Harold? My dog?” “Of course,” she laughed, “We have long conversations about you and your parents all the time, we are good friends." “Wow,” I nodded, “very interesting”.


My mom was a teacher at my school, grade three, and my dad worked in an office downtown.  I really didn’t know exactly what he did.  He went to work everyday wearing a dark blue suit and a hard brown suitcase full of pens and interesting stuff. Mom was the best, we walked to school every morning. We often had lunch together in the school yard and she always gave me good advice that I didn't always follow.   It was my first year in elementary school, I was 6 ½.

I like to play outside in the garden most of the time.  I even have a little fort that I made with a plastic tarp and I can be there even when it rains, but not when it rains too much.  I like to imagine that I am in the jungle, in remote places that I have seen in movies and on TV.  Speaking of TV, I don’t watch much of it, well my mom doesn’t encourage it and I have better things to do with my time.  I discovered sliding on my back on top of a rag that I turned over to be able to slide on the floor pushing with my legs.  I find it fascinating to view everything from the floor up, it’s different... but the same.

“I think you are interesting boy,” Betty said, “I have watched you for a long time now, that is why I want to be your friend.” “What kind of spider are you Betty?” I asked, “do you have parents here in the backyard? Do you have brothers and sisters?" "I don’t," she said.” “Unfortunately, no Charlie, I am by myself here.  I was brought in a plane from my home quite some time ago.  I ended up in the house of a man who had me in a glass cage. One day I escaped from the cage.  I ran as fast as I could to find your house and decided to hide in your backyard because it is the one with the most bushes like at home where I come from.”

“That is great,” I said, “now we can be best friends and I can protect you Betty.” “You and Harold will be my best friends at home now...how come Harold doesn’t talk to me Betty?” I asked. “Why don’t we ask him?” Betty said. “Sounds good,” I said, “where do you live? I mean where do you sleep? Do you have a house...like...a safe place to sleep?” I asked her. “In a burrow, that I dug below those bushes there at the back,” she replied, “I go looking for food during the night most of the times.”

“Sometimes at night I climb to your window and see you reading books about insects.  I like the books that you read.  Sometimes I see you going to bed and falling asleep,” Betty said. “I would like to sleep in your bedroom one time with you.” This was getting very interesting I thought.  Now, can I tell mom about Betty? Dad for sure not, he will get mad and perhaps will try to put Betty in a cage again.  That, I would not like at all and making dad change his mind is quite difficult.

Betty was a big spider with lots of hair.  Her fur, if you can say that because I don’t know what you call the hair of a spider, was brown with some orangey stripes. Betty looked like a nice spider, she inspired calmness in me.  We talked for a good hour until my legs got numb. “I have to go now Betty, my legs are hurting. It was nice meeting you and I will call you a bit later and we can play if you are not busy.” Betty agreed and I went in the house.

Harold was sleeping close to my dad’s chair in the family room.  When I came in he looked at me with his friendly face. “Hey Harold,” I said, “I met Betty in the back just now...she told me that you are her friend too!” Harold came to me, wagging his small tail and rubbed his nose on my leg...

4 comments:

  1. Very imaginative, a child's world with a twist, I can just picture Charlie lying on his back in the backyard on the grass or in the garden looking up at everything, letting his mind go wild and what a treasure for him to have Betty come along! I also like the ending when Charlie talks to Harold and great "little boy" picture at the top, matches perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to write in the point of view of other creatures and I liked this story about the spider. Very imaginative. And such cute photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, me gusta la cosa simple de este relato, por simple quiero decir sin necesidad de que pasen "grandes" cosas... me gusta el tipo de narración cotidiana e igualmente motivadora!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice. I once talked to a spider too, unfortunately, he was mean and told me to go away and that he would bite me. His name was Harold Pincherton.

    ReplyDelete