Sunday, January 30, 2011

Night on the clouds

Suddenly a bright beam of light coming from above illuminated everything.  A shiver ran through my body from my head to my toes and my heart raced, I felt panicked.   The engine stalled, I pressed the gas pedal deeper, I pumped trying to get the engine running again while I was dialling Mary’s number on my phone…. nothing… no phone, the car rolled to a stop.  The light was light blue, transparent, cold. What’s going on…?


I was coming from Arequipa on my way home to Lima.  I like driving during the nights, I get time to think and there is less traffic.  I have been working in Peru for the last three years researching anthropological icons, for a private research group from Switzerland.  Mary and the kids are in Lima, enjoying the benefits of living in Peru.

What’s going on…? –I thought. There was a strong smell of hot wires mixed with burned tires in the air, something weird, a new smell. There was a high pitch noise like a gyroscope, invading the space, like the noise in a small airplane cockpit. The light was quite bright and steady, I didn’t know what to do.   I could feel an electromagnetic field around me, my hair was sticking up and I could feel the static current all over.

I didn’t moved until my heart recovered.  My head was spinning, thinking what’s going on, my scientific brain was trying to compute and it was failing.   My fear had taken over, I was paralyzed.

It must have been around 10 minutes I guessed since my analog watch was dead as well as everything else in the car.   I decided to take a look around.  I opened the door and made sure that nothing was going on outside and slowly stepped out of the car, with my head down, as if preventing being hit in the head.  Nothing was happening, I straighten up and look around.   I could see around 35 feet that were lit by the beam, nothing was moving around.  I tried to look up towards the source of the light but it was too bright, I couldn’t see. I covered my eyes with my hand…. nothing!

“Anybody there?” -I shouted with all of my lungs! The high pitch noise was overwhelming. I walked around the car to check, everything looked OK.  The noise began to change pitch, started to become quieter and lower pitched. Suddenly it was quiet, not a noise, it was way too quiet. The light was still the same, like from a giant flash light.


 I ventured to shout again, “Anybody there?”.  I walked by the road reaching the limit of the light beam and I bumped into something solid, invisible, that didn’t let me continue. I tried with my hands, it was soft but firm, warm.  I tried the sides and it was the same.

As I turned around to go back to the car, my skin got full of goose bumps one more time, another shiver ran my through body from head to toe.  I felt my heart was going to jump out of my chest.  There was a figure by the car, tall, with a shape like a man, like a…… Martian –I thought. I tried to call for help, my voice was gone and my throat was dry, cloudy, not a single noise came out of it.  I don’t think I breathed for many minutes.


 The thing was standing in front of me about 30 feet away, my back was pressed against the invisible wall. I wanted to run. The thing was staring at me, it was all aglow, I could not distinguish anything in its face, like eyes, nose or mouth.

I heard a voice in my head, it was asking me to come.  Telepathic transmision? My scientific brain began to work one more time.” Come here” -it said. “We know you are afraid…. We want to ask you some questions…… we want to talk” -the voice said. We I thought? There are more of these things?

The noise was gone, the static current was still present, I was getting used to the light.  My back separated from the wall and I started walking slowly to the thing.  Both of its arms were reaching out to me, like inviting me to come.  Every hair in my body was erect.  Calm down -I thought.  Nothing, there was no reaction from my body, like something else took over it.

I stopped when I was 10 feet away.  The silence was profound, I could hear noises that didn’t exist.  “What do you want” -I said. “We want to talk to you… nothing bad is going to happen to you” –the voice sounded in my head as the thing walked towards me and held me by my arms.  In that moment the shivering was like waves in the ocean, constant, rhythmic, sometimes big, sometimes small, constant.

As it touched me, something happened that I can’t explain, we were somewhere else. In a room, like a command centre, everything was white, no forms that I could define except other bodies or things like the one I met before.  I assume that I was on their vessel.


There must have been five of these things around me, it was quiet, they all touched me, suddenly I felt calm, calmer than ever. I was staring at them and I assumed that they would be doing the same, they did not have any contour like me.  Their touch was warm, soft and gentle.  I felt energy flowing between me and them. I felt that we were connected directly though our brains, I was calm.

I can’t tell how much time this lasted. I lost interest in the details around me as I connected with the things.

I am not able to explain how it happened, suddenly I was back in my car, sitting at the wheel.  It was dark, quiet and I could feel the damp of the night coming through the open window.  I felt surprised, my scientific mind had recorded a special event, hard to explain, but real…. –I concluded as I was turning the key to start the car. I felt I had acquired some knowledge, a unique experience.  Who could I talk to about this tomorrow, I wondered.

I felt relaxed, not tired, actually full of energy.  I drove the whole night recollecting the events.   I had clearly decided to keep this event to myself, like I had agreed to it, something was telling me that I could reconnect with my “new friends”.  I thought I had some important insights into life in the universe and the benefit of this for me and my family.

In the early hours of the morning, I called Mary. I had been with Mary for 20 years already and we had a very special relationship.  The phone rang three times, Mary picked up.  “Hi Mary” – I said excitedly, “how are you…? Do you have time to talk now…..?” “I love you..”-she said “I want to know all about it…. How was it?”


“I have to tell you what happened last night” –I said excitedly.  “I know…” -she said.  “How do you know..?” -I asked puzzled, I had a hunch that she knew more than I thought. “They came to visit me too and we talk about you and your encounter” –she said calmly. 

Wow, it was true, we were in contact.

4 comments:

  1. Lots of great tension in this story. And visually clear images (besides the interesting illustrations you have added!) Good work. Keep writing! You are finding your voice, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spooky and quite intriguing all at the same time, I like the pictures too, this one deserves a next chapter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your descriptions of the physical sensations your main character experienced. Quite Life-like. Keep at it dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the aliens story. Good job dad. Very cool

    ReplyDelete