Sunday, June 5, 2011

The boat accomplishment


Every year at the end of school, we go to La Herradura for the summer.  La Herradura is on the coast, North of Santiago.  My parents have a cabin by the ocean.  I look forward to summers at La Herradura.

Mom, Carmen and Dad pack both cars with everything we need for the summer.  Carmen, my nanny, patiently does what she is told.
To eat during the trip, they prepared boiled eggs, chicken, bread, thermoses with tea and cold beverages and other goodies.  The rough debate about what we are taking and what doesn't fit in the car gives me the shivers over the back of my head and my jaw clenches. 

At last, the cars are ready, we take off in a convoy in the dark of the early morning.  Dad and Carmen in one car, Mom and me in the other.  There is barely enough room for me in the car. After a while, my Mom remembers something that she forgot.  We turn around, this adds more tension to the trip. It's getting late.

I always think that if we run into problems at the beginning of the trip the rest is going to be just fine. The sun came up, my belly felt empty.
  “I’m hungry Mom” I said.
  “Get something from the picnic basket, Teddy.” Said my Mom with her eyes on the road.
I look inside the basket for something yummy.

The smell of the chicken, the boiled eggs and the hot bread transported me to picnics at the beach.  I eat an egg with bread and grabbed a bottle of water.

As we drove North, the trees started to disappear, the colors changed fast from green to brown, the landscape turned into dry slopes with dried bushes.  The particular smell coming from the picnic basket, the heated plastic dash and the monotonous sound of road got me sleepy. Mom didn’t talk much, the trip was boring.  We stopped for lunch and bathroom breaks.  Finally after most of the day traveling we arrived to La Herradura.

The Bay from the top of the hill looked calm, a freighter, the dock and the town were a familiar picture, my heart jumped of excitement. As soon as we stopped at home, I jumped down to open the garage door, I stretched my arms and legs and hold a big breath of fresh air. After so many hours in the small place, I ran around, smile and explore what was new. Look around for my friends from the back, enjoying the cold marine breeze and the sweet smells from plans, dust and eucalyptus trees from the backyard.  Mom, Dad and Carmen were busy unloading the cars.

The house smelled so good.  I have missed the smell of the thick curtains, the dry wood, the dust, the smell of the enclosure, the sweet metallic smell from the bathroom and Dad’s shaving cream. Everything was so familiar.

Last summer auntie Dolly taught me how to swim. She took me where I couldn’t reach the bottom and said.
  “Teddy, just swim out honey, you can do it.” And she let me go.  I wiggled my hands and legs as fast as I could, swimming to chore until I reach the bottom.  She made me tried again and again until I was good at it.  From there on I became a fish, I imitate my sisters.  It worked out well.

I can’t remember how old I was then.  The tradition was to swim to the boat and bring it to shore on your own.  That year it was my turn, was super excited.  It was a challenge. I was looking forward to it.  My sisters would often talk about this during lunch time. Dad showed me how to let go the anchor and how to set up the oars and made me row.  The oars were really heavy. 

After few days, my Dad told me.
  “Teddy, tomorrow you will swim and get the boat.”
 I got the shivers. 
  “Be careful not to drop the oars in the water.” He said

That night I couldn’t sleep with the anticipation. I dream about swimming far to get the boat and then rowing it on my own.  I felt big, responsible, the owner of the universe.


The next morning I needed to pi more often than ever. I don’t recall what happen until I was swimming.  The water was green that morning, there was a gentle breeze.  I swim stroke, it felt an eternity to get to the boat.  I took the last pi before climbing.  Once on the boat, I looked to shore.  I was surprised to see my Dad and my sisters not that far away.  I release the anchor and set the oars.  I heard my Dad’s voice.

 “Well done Teddy!” The wind had brought me to shore.  I didn’t have to row.

Thinking backwards, my father knew about it.  It was all safe.

6 comments:

  1. Eduardo, me recordo los viajes de esa epoca.

    Very good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teddy esta muy simpatica que momentos aquellos, recuerdos inolvidables y hay tantas anecdotas.....esos fueron los dia mas maravillosos de mi vida.. Love .. tu hermanita.. Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teddy, que lindo, me acuerdo perfecto del olor de tu casa en La Herradura, la carpa blanca que teniamos que poner arena en los bolsillos, la torta para dormir siesta, las cosas ricas que cocinaban la Manene y la nany Mary, todo tenia algo especial, los niños, el otro dia con el Alan nos juntamos y recordamos todo eso fue muy lindo, el Pinguino, era tu yate?, tengo algunas fotos que te mandare, el Johnny chico, tan lindo. Uf que hermosa epoca, la playa eramos solo nostros, todo era lindo el agua, la herradura, el campo, tu papa caminando con sus manos atras, tipico, la manene con su poncho blanco con cafe en la playa, tengo los mejores recuerdos de todos, te mando un beso y espero que la proxima vez nos veamos mas tiempo, algun dia llegare por Canada, si Dios quiere me encantaria conocer esos lados, bueno chauuuuuuuuu que estes muy bien.

    cariños

    Lili

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ke limdos recuerdos...para mi tambien fueron los mejores momentos vividos..!!
    Besito.
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very heartwarming, happy summer story. It brings back many of my own summer childhood memories of going to the cottage, packing everything up for the cottage or camping, being squished into my parents yellow volkswagon bettle along with everything else that was needed for a few weeks of camping. How the tent smelled, how the cottage smelled, how the beach smelled and the water felt. Good one! It's amazing how someone else's memories from a far away place can bring back our own so clearly and magically...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ayyy Teddy tan lindo que escribes y que lindos recuerdos me traes!

    Bechos Anita.

    ReplyDelete